Fabric certificate types and how useful they are | CE Marking Handmade Toys Collective

Fabric certificate types and how useful they are

Fabric certificate types and how useful they are

IMG_2615_edited-1Quite often when you’re seeking out certificates for your files, you may come across a multitude of other certificates which get you excited and then swiftly disapointed when you realise they are not what you need!
This is a rundown of what they are, and why they can’t be used for your technical file.

Don’t forget to check for links on our free resources section, of manufacturers who are known to hold certificates of their own!

EN71-3 2013
EN71 certificates are the ones which particularly apply to the EN71 current chemical testing rules. Its important to check the year of issue due to the latest changes in the standards, which tests for many more heavy metals than the 1995 standard. Should the certificate be out of date, be sure to write back and point it out to them in a hope they will update their certificate.

Oekotex-100 or OKOTEX is a certificate which tests for 100 chemicals, Oekotex certification cannot be given without REACH, so oekotex certificates may be sufficient to show reach standards, and are always good to keep on file with your en71 certificates.
However, it does NOT match up to EN71 testing because it misses out two metals(Barium And Selenium) as well as being tested in a different way(in saliva but not stomach acid).
If fabric with an oekotex/okotex is tested, its extremely likely it will pass. but the certificate itself does not cover you for toy making use.
more info: https://www.oeko-tex.com/en/business/certifications_and_services/ots_100/ots_100_start.xhtml

ASTM certificates test to the american standard of toys(CPSIA) that CPSC enforce. They typically test for lead, phthalates,AZO dyes. Its always important to read the certificates themselves, as sometimes they will reference EN71-3 or list the chemicals and amounts that you can cross reference against EN71-3 results. Since the standard changes in 2013 these ASTM certificates do not cover what we need for toymaking.
more info on CPSIA:

REACH standards are the standards which apply to all materials being important into the EU, its the first standards which ensure no chemicals that are dangerous are used in making the materials. All manufacturers should have evidence of this and its usually easily sought out and sent over by email or found online.
Its important that you’re aware of REACH but its not enough to cover you for toy making purposes, as the testing is different and does not test for all relevent metals.
more info: https://echa.europa.eu/regulations/reach/understanding-reach

GOTS is a strict standard with many rules and tests to show that the fabric has been made and manufacturered organically as well as being fairly made.
Although it tests again for many similar heavy metals,it is missing aluminium,antimony,boron, barium,manganese, selenium and strontium. They are also not tested by the same methods as EN71-3, so the certificate is not suitable for your files.
more info: http://www.global-standard.org/the-standard/latest-version.html

Hope you’ve found this useful!