International Toy Safety | CE Marking Handmade Toys Collective

International Toy Safety

International Toy Safety

We quite often get questions asking about selling outside of the EU, so hopefully this link-fest will help with this 🙂

The CE mark enables you to legally sell your toys in the EU, but outside of the EU there are other sets of rules to follow and its always worth checking the toy laws of the country you are selling to so you know you’re being legal, and also be sure your insurance covers you to sell in other countries. We don’t know too much about the laws elsewhere but hopefully these links may help, this information as as up to date as I could find it, but its important that you check yourself to make sure you’re doing it right.

So far this post looks at Aus, New Zealand, USA and Canada as they’re the main ones asked about.
Australia and New Zealand
Australia and New Zealand are currently undergoing changes for mandatory toy testing, currently only certain toys need testing, but this does include soft toys and toys for under threes.

For the full list of toys that need testing check here:  Toy safety up to 36 months

Also a basic run down of toy safety:

And more in depth info: brief outline on scope of Aus/NZ standards  unfortunately the full standards are charged for.
According to this link it is based on the EN71 and the US standards, so there is a good chance that your CE tests will cover the Australian/NZ tests, however you’ll need to check that in more detail.
If in doubt contact the authorities of the country you are wishing to sell to.

If you’re looking to sell to the USA, this is a good place to start: Small business resources
Now from that link its vital you read the small business registry info where you can register your business and find out if you need to be third party testing your toys, or you can self certify, producing a childrens product certificate to go in your files to prove compliancy if your toys already have the testing, which could come under ‘a reasonable testing program (performed by a manufacturer)’ note that you item does need to be compliant but does not need third party testing to show this (so your technical file should suffice)
You can also watch a helpful video on this: Small business registry video

For a sensible friendly blog post on usa toy safety : click here


Canada have a fairly clear helpful website of information on their to safety laws, which you can see is fairly similar to ours:
Canada toy safety info (thank you canada for making that simple-ish for us)

Other points: Please remember that some countries have laws as to what you can import – for example sheeps wool sometimes cannot be posted/imported to australia/new zealand so be sure to check whether you will run into issues there.

Hopefully this will have got you started on world toy domination! good luck!